Subhash Motibhai Patel was Founder and Chairman of Motisun Group. Under his strong leadership, the group has grown to the tune of around USD 400 Million per annum and employ around 5000 personnel across Africa.
Patel was born in Lugoba village (near Chalinze) in Tanzania in the year 1958. He did his higher education from Dar es Salaam and started his career as a spare parts shopkeeper in 1975. Within the span of four decades, he set up manufacturing and processing industries in the sectors like Steel, Plastics, Paints, Soft-drinks, Fruits, Mining, Cement, Electrical Cables, Construction and Infrastructure development. He was also a seasoned hotelier with owning some of the best properties in Tanzania like Sea Cliff Court, Hotel Whitesands, Sea Cliff Golf Resort-Zanzibar etc.
How It All Started
With strict focus on producing quality products, Mr. Patel was also pioneer in introducing new technology/products ‘for the first time’ into Tanzanian Market.
- Introduction of Soda in PET bottles for the first time in Tanzania in the year 2006.
- Setting up of first Cold Rolling Mill in the country.
- Setting up of Poly Urethane Panels Manufacturing Unit-The only unit in the country.
- Setting up of fruit processing facility with the capacity of 300MT/day.
- Construction of first privately owned by Tanzanian star rated resort in Tanzania.
- Construction of first and the only Golf Course in Zanzibar.
- Setting up First Integrated Steel Manufacturing Plant in Mozambique. The first private sector unit funded by World Bank in Mozambique.
With many accolades in his cap, Mr. Patel had been awarded as “Best Employer of the Africa” organized by World HR Forum in Mauritius in December 2017. Mr. Patel always believed on 3 Ms: Man, Machine and then Money. Manpower always his first choice amongst three.
Being a philanthropist, Mr. Patel was actively involved in many social welfare activities such as building schools, education institutes, free medical facilities, Hospitals etc. through BAPS Charities for which he was Chairman for 19 years (from 1999 till 2017).
He held following positions:
- Chairman of Confederation of Tanzanian Industries
- Director of Tanzania Private Sector Foundation
- Chairman of Shabaan Robert Secondary School and Dar es Salaam Secondary Education Society
- Trustee member of Indian School, Dar es Salaam
- Trustee member of Hindu Mandal Hospital, Dar es Salaam
- Chairman of Steel Manufacturers Association of Tanzania